Monday, November 3, 2008

Personal Finance Manager


So I've been looking for a number of years for a software package to take care of my personal finances.  My personal fiances are very simple, and a spread sheet has done the job for a number of years, though I found I had a hard time keeping up with the spread sheet.

I found something called "Ace Money" (Link above) and I was able to download QIX files from my bank, and import them into this program in a matter of minutes.  I then spent 1/2 hour this evening setting all the categories I use and modifying a years worth of entrees / balancing them etc.  (Yes you read that right, a YEARS worth in 1/2 an hour!!!!)

This program is great!  I registered it for only $30, and the $20 Pocket PC version for my HTC Touch (They both use the same file format  as well!!!!).   Cheaper then Quicken, easier to use, the reports it generates are much better looking then the NOTHING I got from a spread-sheet.  
I only run Windows on my "Server" at the house,  but because I can do all my entry on my smartphone, and just sync the file to the "server" I don't even miss not having a native mac application. 

Something else I recently started doing, was scanning receipts.  Now I scan them and add them as "Attachments" into ace money and I can always cross reference items.

If you need something to manage your personal finances I recommend this one HIGHLY.


No comments: